On this week’s episode of What’s in the Basket, we’re falling in love with a corpse as we discuss Laura (1944). We marvel over the perfect storm of second-choice casting decisions that is the Dana Andrews/Gene Tierney/Clifton Webb trifecta, explore a very Real Housewivesian battle of egos between Otto Preminger and Daryl F. Zanuck, and break it down to the chill groove remix of film noir’s most iconic theme song.
In researching for this episode, we consulted the following sources:
- Otto Preminger: The Man Who Would Be King by Foster Hirsch
- Unless the Threat of Death is Behind Them: Hard-Boiled Fiction and Film Noir by John T. Irwin
- Hollywood Enigma: Dana Andrews by Carl Rollyson
- Self-Portrait by Gene Tierney
- Sitting Pretty: The Life and Times of Clifton Webb by Clifton Webb with David L. Smith
- Gene Tierney: A Biography by Michelle Vogel